Pages

Monday, October 10, 2011

Beginning - Phase 1

Today marks the first step in my journey forward :)

Some background...
I've been dealing with some on and off shoulder girdle injuries for the past few years. So far, it's been a two steps forward, three steps back, five steps forward kind of process. We've all been there. While I've learned patience and caution, I've also lost a lot of confidence in myself, my body, and what we are capable of. Now, I've constantly been told how much potential I have, and I believe it, but I just haven't believed it enough to really act on it. But I want to prove to everyone, and especially myself, that I can live up to and even surpass that potential.

Yeah, I have a lot of crap to deal with (we'll get to that later), but I figured that it's time to stop making excuses and just get out there and see what I'm capable of. And that's where this blog comes in. I'm very bad at regularly sticking to anything unless mandated by law (a.k.a. school), so hopefully posting in the blog regularly will instill a little self-discipline, as well as having the added bonus of tracking my improvements and failures :) Yes, failures. Everyone fails at something, and I hope to fail many times, but to learn something new from my failures.

Phase 1 - Healing
My goal in this phase is to fully heal my collarbone (duh) while gaining strength, honing skills, and building back my confidence. I've researched, consulted, etc, until I settled on Wendler's 5-3-1 program with deadlift, front squat (my arch nemesis), and press, with some random stuff like planche progressions and bridges and also some not-so-random stuff like push ups thrown in the mix. So I'll just see how these four weeks work out, and I'll just go from there.

I've had to work from barely being able to do 8 push ups after my rotator cuff injury (July 09) to almost 30 push ups, and I'm freaking 17, so time really isn't an issue. I'm just picking a direction and seeing how it turns out. Wish me luck :)

No comments:

Post a Comment